Go Back   The Digital Darkroom - Digital photography Forums > Photography Section > Nikon User Group (The D70-D70s-D80 the D100-D200-The D1 series & D2 series and new D3 series

Nikon User Group (The D70-D70s-D80 the D100-D200-The D1 series & D2 series and new D3 series A discussion group for the Nikon range of DSLR's. If it's Nikon and if it's a camera it belongs here.

Old 21-01-2013, 15:29   #1
Knight

What is up with Nikons QA and back focus???

I got a new D7000 this weekend and a 24mm f/2.8 AF-D lens to replace the stolen gear taken at the first of the month. Having been reading up on the D7000 and D600 I ran across some troubling information. Seems the latest batches of D7000, D800, and D800E have back focus issues right out of the box. Checked mine with the new 24mm, 35mm 1.8G and 50mm 1.8D. Only the 50mm will focus where it is suspose using the AF system.

I followed all the testing and on the wall charts it seems to do ok, a bit soft but this is without any sharening, distortion control, anything. On the 45 degree ruler test, 2/3 lenses were focusing 80mm BEHIND the focus line. Only the 50 was dead on, but actually about 3mm behind. I was really careful on all the tests so now, do I take in a brand new camera and 3 primes for calibration or just rely on the 50mm for the coming Chinese New Year holidays and take it in after that?

Really bad to know this is a large issue covered in many places and still going on, both in FX and DX bodies (maybe the new AF systems?). Has anyone here observed this and how well does the AF fine tuning system work? Can I use it on all my lenses of just 1 zoom, 1 prime?
Nikon D7000/D40 | Nikon 18~55 and 55~200VR, 24 f2.8D, 35 f1.8G, 50 f1.8D, Tokina 11~16, Sigma 150~500OS | Nikon SB 600 | Canon S95, Panasonic Lumix FZ40 | Capture NX 2; Landscapes, Cityscapes, Family photos | Skydrive album Flickr album 500px site
JyBravo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 06:50   #2
Knight

Brief follow-up on the auto focus accuracy I was experiencing. Nikon Asia recommended I bring in the camera for service. I made my way to the local Nikon service center, Shanghai and moved to a new location. They took the camera only and applied a software upload and then checked my lenses. That was it, 30 minutes and done. I have found my back focus issue easily correctable now via AF fine tune. Keeper rate went from 20% in focus to nearly 80% now.

After some digging I found there is an interface program out there that can communicate with the Nikon bodies and do a ton of things, including adjust AF center from +/- 150, not just the value of 20 on the body. It seems the baseline center of AF is not correctly adjusted at the factory and in some bodies needs correction. Nikon is well aware of this and service centers are able to correct quickly and easily, no explainations or real proof needed (I did bring my iPad with 100% crops of the AF charts of Live View, AF, and multiple lenses. Again, this goes to quality control as Nikon is aware of this, color shift with the FX bodies (since releasing a D600 firmware update correcting), and oil spotting on sensors from the shutter box... It seems correcting this is more costly than the complaints coming in and actual service requests to fix. Sad that this is how bussiness run these days, "acceptable quality product".
Nikon D7000/D40 | Nikon 18~55 and 55~200VR, 24 f2.8D, 35 f1.8G, 50 f1.8D, Tokina 11~16, Sigma 150~500OS | Nikon SB 600 | Canon S95, Panasonic Lumix FZ40 | Capture NX 2; Landscapes, Cityscapes, Family photos | Skydrive album Flickr album 500px site
JyBravo70 is offline   Reply With Quote