Go Back   The Digital Darkroom - Digital photography Forums > Lifestyle > Sports

Sports A section for members to talk about sport. DD rules regarding swearing and good manners apply.

Closed Thread

Old 29-07-2012, 17:08   #1
Admin

Anyone watching the Olympics?

The opening ceremony was a little unusual in my opinion and very much aimed at the British audience but so what many previous opening ceremonies have been targeted at the hosts and thats not been an issue in the past.

For me the 2 highlights were the James Bond (Daniel Craig) and The Queen segments, in particular the lookalike when she jumped out of the helicopter I was expecting Daniel Craig to do something like that but when it initially looked like her Majesty the Queen jumped first that was a surprise!

For me the other highlight was the actual lighting ceremony, I'm not sure I would have wanted the young athletes to do the lighting if it was my decision as I can think of many existing Olympians that deserved that honour more but at least it made a change from just one person lighting the Olympic flame.

Personally I thing Danny Boyle did us proud but what does everyone else think?

If Canon Can, Rebel Can too, YOU Can, with a Canon

My Gallery (Work in progress but getting there slowly)
My personal site (Work in progress but also getting there slowly)
Old 30-07-2012, 12:57   #2
Marquis

I have been watching mainly the highlights and the swimming so far as i've been away for the last few days. I agree with you Reb on the opening ceremony in that it was different with some great parts, James Bond, Rowan Atkinson and i particulalry liked the lighting and movement of the five olympic rings. I felt at times that some of the foreign audience might have struggled with some parts of the ceremony and i struggled at times and was glad of the tv commentary, all in all though very impressive and a big well done to all who took part.

Aside from the opening ceremony though i do feel that some of the press are again looking for the negatives (keys, empty seats) even though the empty seats is a shame as i know of so many people who were unable to even get one ticket. Well done to all athletes for getting this far, whatever the outcome of their particualr sporting event

Some Nikon bits and some Sigma lenses
Old 30-07-2012, 15:43   #3
Marquis

I'm not usually a negative person, just the odd occasion and although it pains me to say it, this is one of those times. Although I sincerely wish all the athletes the very best, irrespective of colour, nationality or creed I feel the whole thing has been taken over by the large conglomerates out to make a buck.

As for the empty seats, a shame that those who had them and didn't/couldn't be bothered to turn up hadn't the forethought to pass them on to others less fortunate.

I've heard so much about 'OUR HERO'S' and yet [AFAIK] no tickets given out to the families of the fallen or even those who were/are severely injured. All talk and no doing from our exalted leaders whose only interst seems to be grabbing another 15' of fame... typical of late from the 'smarmy army.'

For me, the list goes on and on... just a few reasons for taking the batteries out of the remote.

Apologies for the negative vibes. I do hope it all comes together and makes a profit, which, hopefully will be used where it will do the most good, but somehow, I don't think I'll hold my breath.

Wally with his Oly bits & bobs
Old 30-07-2012, 16:06   #4
2014 Comp co-ordintor-MOTY 2010-2011

Location: South Manchester near where the big silver birds fly
Sadly I'm with you. This is no longer all about human prowess and advancement it's got like Christmas all to do with money.

I watched some of the opening ceremony but can't bring myself to watch the rest.

It should be the UK Olympics not the London Olympics, we all have paid something but as usual if you live north of Watford gap you dont get a mention. Real shame as events are being held all over our un-united kingdom.
Old 30-07-2012, 22:57   #5
Knight

Just to add my support to the nay sayers.

I find it almost morally bereft to support this vast money burning extravagansa whilst we have a country in austerity, pensioners having to decide whether to heat or eat, a health service in decline for the want of some decent cash injection. These are just a few of the reasons why I didn't watch the opening ceremony and will most certainly not be watching any of the events.

It is great for our athletes and sportsmen to come up against the best in order to test themselves but his can be achieved in many other sporting events.

As was rightly said, these are the London Olympics anyway. I live in South Wales. What are we getting out of it ? just about sweet nothing as usual.

My son went to Afghanistan, his role was to risk his life daily searching for I.E.D's, any favours in the ticket department for him ? Oh No, it's more important for major corporations to get their large allocation of tickets and then not use them and forget about those who risk everything on a daily basis. But suprise suprise, what happens when the security fiasco raises it's pathetic head...........Call In The Army !!!!!

The sooner that Seb Coe and his ilk get the message that not everyone in the UK is falling about in awe of this money making sham the better.

rant over

Carpy
Old 31-07-2012, 02:08   #6
Admin

I have to say it seems such a shame to me that there is so much negativity about the Olympics, as a country I believe we will actually be better off financially, yes I agree money has a very important role but over the last 7 (I believe its 7 anyway) only one Olympics has not been profitable for the host nation.

I would have loved to have been able to attend any of the Olympic events but that was not possible and in fact my son applied for the maximum tickets he could get, he actually received none and yet as many say there are lots of empty seats and that is in my opinion wrong.

Seb Coe has said he intends to ensure these empty seats are filled, it seems a lot of them are issued to the sporting clubs etc the athletes come from, commonly known as the "Olympic family" I would ask WHY are they entitled to these seats, the athletes sure, perhaps even seats for their immediate family members/coaches in certain circumstances but why all those seats are empty is a tragedy in my opinion and bad for the Olympics in every way.

I guess I don't remember paying for the Olympics myself, I know a lot of Londoners had to pay additional fees that went towards the facilities but long after the Olympics are over those sporting facilities will still be there and still bringing in money to this country as well as providing facilities for the local London population that can use them after the Olympics are gone.

I have to admit I'm NOT a fan of teachers and students getting free tickets to fill those empty seats, I think they should go to the people that tried to buy them, in the first place and were unsuccessful. (Although if they decided to make some available to disabled people who wanted to see this I certainly wouldn't complain but that is tongue in cheek), nobody is entitled to those seats other than the people who should have got the tickets after applying for them in the first place.
I didn't apply as I wasn't sure if I would be able to go even had I been allocated any tickets, so I am NOT one of the people who should get any of the "empties"

Don't misunderstand me I have nothing but admiration for our armed forces but I also don't see why they should get those seats either unless they applied for them initially.

I agree the armed forces have saved our bacon in terms of security but our servicemen in other countries have risked more in the name of this country than those involved in the games security, and I question whether the servicemen in Afghanistan etc who are risking life and limb are really there for the right reasons or is it just political reasons now? If that is the case why should they should continue to risk their lives they should be at home with their loved ones and not in harms way.

That however is getting away from the event itself, I guess I am in the minority here as I believe in the Olympics, I believe in the good they can do and I love the spectacle itself, I will watch as much of the Olympics as I can and I will watch the Para-Olympics as well, I will support the British competitors in mind if not in person and I will keep my fingers crossed for a successful outcome both financially and in competitive terms.

Hey I guess I'm a bah humbug and don't like Christmas whilst a lot of people do, so it makes a change for me to be pro Olympics even if I am in the minority again

Old 31-07-2012, 07:54   #7
Marquis

I'm not against the Olympics as such. The idea is fantastic in what it does or could achieve in the future in bringing all nations together. I am against the 'kerching, kerching, kerching' mentality that has pervaded and taken over the whole concept. Each Olympic event has gone from bad to worse where each has to be a bigger and better extravaganza that the one before. Given the deep sticky brown stuff we are all in 'together' it raises serious question as to where the hard cash is coming from and who is really financing the whole shebang?

Where I live, sports facilities are being closed - not safe for children? Libraries being closed or going onto short hours, many of which provide much, much more than just books for the community they serve... the list goes on.

I've no doubt the Olympics will be a success in many ways but will that success filter down around the country to places where it could make a real difference to those communities that are well and truly under the hammer.

So, although on one hand I'm glad its here and that for many it will be a joy and take people's mind off the drudgery, even the weather is doing its part in raising peoples spirits, on the other, what, in the long term do we have to look forward to? Let's hope it's not another winter of discontent.

Wally with his Oly bits & bobs
Old 31-07-2012, 17:37   #8
Fishing mad (DeputyAdmin)

I don't even know where to start with this thread???? It starts off being about Sport and goes on to War & Politics & Money.

The reason that I thought the Olympics were started was so as nations could get together and compete in sport and friendly rivalry am I wrong????

Why bring in serving forces in a negative way , I am sure that to see the Olympics at first hand and taking a short break from other theatres of the world, would be a joy and paid for by us the public to say well done and thanks for serving..

Serving abroad, weather it be in Northern Island , Afghanistan, Iraq or aboard a Ship at sea, or in the Air, is what we all signed up for the good and bad times, is just a factor of the job. It's what we get paid for to do as we are directed. I have spoken , more than once that I am ex forces but I am not because I am paid both as a Veteran (War Pensioner) for Medical Reasons and by my Army Pension, I knew in the 70's that I could be sent any where , if the forces personal that join to day don't understand they have a job to do they should not join.

Politics I hate this subject but it affects us all , the money also so as Far As I Am Concerned the Olympics is a great way to pull us all together even if only for discussion to put our own points across isn't freedom of speech a great thing ????

I have been watching a lot of the telly and am enjoying the Games of 2012 it is and will bring in money of years to come which I feel is good for our Nation???

My Fishy Gallery
Tight Lines &
Best Wishes
Old 31-07-2012, 21:50   #9
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgfishing View Post
Why bring in serving forces in a negative way , I am sure that to see the Olympics at first hand and taking a short break from other theatres of the world, would be a joy and paid for by us the public to say well done and thanks for serving..

it is and will bring in money of years to come which I feel is good for our Nation???
The Army have not been brought in as a "Well done and thanks for serving" gesture.
They have been brought in to the Olympics to alleviate the fiasco caused by G4S and the organisers who have done little or nothing to monitor the ability of the company to fulfil their contractual obligations.

After the serious fires in America in 1998, Walt Disney Corporation did a "Thanks for serving" gesture whereby all the members of the fire crews were given free passes to Disney attractions. That is a thank you gesture.

As far as bringing in money for years to come, this may happen for London, but it will not do anything for example where I live in South Wales where as Lonely says in his post, sports and recreation facilities are being closed down, leaving dereliction not regeneration in their wake.

With all due respect to you, I do not think for a momment that any soldier joining up is not aware of his duties once he has taken the shilling, but the world is a vastly different place now to what it was in the 70's.

It was stated by an ex chief of armed forces staff that in all probability the use of the Army during the Olympics would mean extended tours of duty for those in theatre. Just to give you an example of why I aired my sons role in Afghanistan.....The last month of his tour he was given 4 personnel who had just arrived there to train in the search for I.E.D.'s. He was with these guys 24hrs a day until he came home. Two weeks later these 4 brave men were together when they took a direct hit by a mortar, something you cannot train for. Two were killed instantly, the other two lost limbs. Should my sons tour have been extended (maybe to cover personnel who may be covering a sporting events security) then most likely he would have been still with these men with the resultant injury or loss of his life.

This thread was not necessarily started about sport, it was asked if we were watching the Olympics. All those of us who are against the Olympics and will not be watching it have merely aired our reasons for our attitude to this event.

Carpy
Old 01-08-2012, 00:18   #10
Admin

Actually as the person who started this thread in the first place I can say the question was is anyone watching the Olympics, IE the sporting events currently being held. So whilst I believe everyone is entitled not to watch them I didn't ask why they were not doing so. There is an additional clue in the respect this thread was posted in the SPORTS section of this forum.

Also I did not start this thread in aid of the armed forces who I have a lot of respect for and I would willingly support a thread about the risks they take on behalf of our country in other circumstances, this is not that thread!

As mdgfishing said, ALL the people that joined the armed forces KNEW they were joining the ARMED forces and KNEW there were risks and there was every possibility they could end up in a theatre of war where their lives were at risk, they were paid to take those risks admittedly but most of us believe they are extremely courageous in the face of the danger they face hence why so many of us hold them in such great esteem.

MDG was in the army during the 70's when there were lots of issues in Northern Ireland commonly known as "the troubles" whilst he mght not say much about those years I can say he risked his life there and also elsewhere around the world in the course of his duties as a serving member of the armed forces, just as our brave soldiers risk their lives in places where many of us don't believe they should even be.

I'm not going to carry on, I started this thread hoping to get views on the sporting events known as the Olympics as this thread is going way off topic I am closing it.

Closed Thread